Re: ORGLIST: preparation of ammonium fluoride

From: Dr. S. K. Adhikari (sisir_ad$##$vsnl.com)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2008 - 11:29:53 EDT

Just pass ammonia gas to a cooled [~10deg C ] HF (preferably 40%), to alkaline [pH paper] -evaporate ~ keep alkaline by adding liq ammonia . Remove most water to almost slurry ,add ammonia time to time [ SS pan on a water bath] ,cool, separate [PP Buchner],suck dry ,can wash with little methanol/ethanol. Dry in air. The method is safe ( take suitable precautions as are taken by Chemists ). But Amm Fluoride is available so easily from Lab Chem suppliers !!
S.K.Adhikari, Mumbai