ORGLIST: Chlorination of primary amino alcohols

From: J.R.Munoz (chamula$##$cybercable.net.mx)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 13:03:46 EDT

I've been working on some coupling agents in my biochemistry project and
have a need to chlorinate phenylalaninol, I've tried thionyl chloride in
excess molar equivalent in chloroform , there allowing for reflux of 2 hours
as some literature suggests....however after I tried to remove the
chlorinated material with ethylacetate as a precipitate but then when I did
a tlc I found much of the starting alcohol mark as well as a higher mark,
presumably the halogenated material.
Why did the material not halogenate(chlorinate) .....is there someone with
experience with the halogenation (chlorinaion) of this particular amino
alcohol that can assist me.....thanks in advance.