ORGLIST: Problem in synthesis of m-nitroacetophenone

From: swapna nandy (swapnanandy$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 04:42:32 EDT

swapnanandy$##$yahoo.com
  Date: 30 aug 2007

  Hello,
  I am a student in medicinal chemistry from Mumbai University. My problem which i want to discuss with you is regarding the synthesis of m-nitro acetophenone by nitration of acetophenone. According to the procedure (as attached with mail) after the reaction the product precipitate as yellow flocculent solid. I tried the synthesis twice but end up getting a brownish oily mass, which after filtration gave brown colored solid. The TLC shows 3-4 spots, indicating impure product. I have taken care of all the precautions mentioned like temperature maintainance(0-5 deg), vigorous stirring etc. Please help me with suitable measures and any alternatives that can be done. Thank you.

  Swapna Nandy

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN">
<!-- saved from url=(0051)http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv2p0434 -->
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Organic Syntheses Prep</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3157" name=GENERATOR></HEAD><FRAMESET border=0
frameSpacing=0 rows=68,* frameBorder=0><FRAME name=btnFrame marginWidth=10
marginHeight=0 src="m-nitro acetophenone_files/buttons.htm" scrolling=no><FRAME
border=0 name=contentFrame marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0
src="m-nitro acetophenone_files/prepContent.htm"></FRAMESET></HTML>