ORGLIST: Demethylation-Kunal

From: kunal (keskarkunal$##$gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 15:59:01 EDT

1.I am trying demethylation of (2-methoxyphenyl)diphenylphosphine,I have
tried regents like BBr3/DCM,AlCl3/NaI,HCl(gas)..every time I am not getting
product...Or either clear conversion on TLC but unable to isolate from
column..
Lets say If I start with 100 mg,I land up with not even 5 mg...(But TLC
shows clear conversion)
AlCl3/NaI method is giving 30-40% conversion of reaction...
Can anybody suggest me a better method for the same.../Even modifications in
above reactions are fine..
I suspect there is strong tendency of bond formation between lewis acid and
Phosphorous..That is giving me a problem.

Thanks

Kunal