Re: ORGLIST: Neutralizing TLC plates?

From: JASON SMITH (jason.smith1$##$students.mq.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2007 - 02:54:26 EDT

Stability on silica can be checked by running a 2D TLC:

Using a square silica plate, spot the sample in one corner.

  Run the plate in one direction (all components of the sample will appear in a vertical line of spots).

  Turn the plate 90 degrees (your "line of spots" should be at the bottom) and run the plate again.

  If the sample is stable to silica, all spots will appear on the diagonal.

-Jason

Ken Knott wrote:
> I have a compound that I think may be degrading on TLC plates due to
> the mild acidity.
>
> I would appreciate advice on how to neutralize TLC plates prior to
> running them. I understand that this can be done with a 1% solution
> of TEA in your eluent prior to running the compound? Can anyone offer
> any suggestions or advice on doing this?
>
> Also, how might I make myself more certain that I am in fact
> witnessing degradation of my compound as a result of running it on the
> TLC?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ken

You may try passivating the TLC plate with hexamethyl disilazane (HMDS)
via a vapor treatment. This procedure will methylate the SiO2. Of
course, you will also have to functionalize your SiO2 if you run a column.

Brandon