ORGLIST: Thanks! But need a bit more help...

From: Ken Knott (esprcorn$##$hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2007 - 10:19:14 EDT

Well, I took everyones great advice as to the 2D-TLC technique. It appears to have worked and confirmed my suspicions. The major spot tails in both directions and leaves a significant spot on the baseline running both ways.So I tried to neutralize a TLC plate by running it with my eluent (4:1 Hex/EtOAC) with 1% TEA. Then I spotted my compound and ran it in the normal eluent.It still tails.... I'm certain I'm not overloading it. I've tried this several times. Can anyone think where I may be going wrong or have an explanation for this?Also, sometimes, after neutralizing the plate, spotting, and running the plate with my compound, I will see a 'solvent' band about 1/2 way up the plate. I think this is like the interface of the solvent I ran when neutralizing the plate and when I have run it again. Is this an issue and if so what do I need to do to correct this?I really am amazed at all the terrific adivce I get from the forum. You all are godsends! Thanks again!Ken Knott