Re: ORGLIST: melting point

From: Chapman, Robert D n/a (robert.chapman$##$navy.mil)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 13:02:10 EDT

http://www.triflic.com/ says -80 C. Even triflic acid is -40 C. If some has frozen in a refrigerator, I speculate that your anhydride has absorbed water, and the acid has absorbed more water. Triflic acid hydrate (hydronium triflate) has m.p. +34 C, so it may have separated while cold and redissolved on warming. Triflic acid plus alcohol will behave very differently from triflic anhydride plus alcohol.

Robert D. Chapman, Ph.D.
Chemistry Branch (Code 498200D)
Naval Air Warfare Center
China Lake, CA 93555 USA