ORGLIST: Reduction with Sodium

From: Nalini Patel (nalini.patel$##$rediffmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 02:13:53 EST

Hello Friends ! I'm doing one reduction reaction of Oxime to Amine ON =
PLANT LEVEL in n-Butanol with sodium. Here I'm not aware of properly perfor=
ming this sodium handling reaction & wish to get some advices from you frie=
nds :   a) Is it necessary to stirr the reaction (slowly or fast ?) =
or not, while adding sodium pieces at reflux temp. of solvent to get better=
 yield of Amine ? b) Proper method of addition of sodium, i.e. adding =
big pieces at long intervals or small pieces at short intervals. c) An=
y more advices from you & suggesting references for such reduction reaction=
. Awaiting comments from all of you ! Regards, N=
ALINI