ORGLIST: witig reaction

From: saraswati velu (saraswativ$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 06:28:18 EDT

Hello,

Does anyone know how to increase the yield of witig reaction for 3,5 protected dihydroxy with TBS- benzaldehyde. I only manage to get about 40% yield using potassium tert-butoxide, THF and methyltriphenylphosphonium iodide. From the TLC, almost all the starting material have been consumed and left with 2 products which are the functionalised styrene and a polar product which might be the phosphonium salt I guess.
Pls help.
Thanks,
Saras