ORGLIST: Diol protection of Triol such as Glycerol or TMP with Ketone

From: William Chien (billychien$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 00:43:56 EDT

Several years ago, I was trying to make a diol (of
Trimethylolpropane)protecting group by using dimethyl
ketone and found the resulting material wasn't very
stable.

Recently I found an article regarding a similar
reaction (Glycerol with Ketone and acidic catalyst).

I am looking for the type of catalyst suitable for
this reaction and the reaction condition to stabilise
the resulting compound.

Thanks and best regards

William