RE: ORGLIST: New to Orgo- question

From: Kiessling, Dr Anthony J (akiessli$##$mansfield.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 15:39:42 EDT

The answer is 1-pentene. Each of the three hydrogens on the double bond
are different, the geminal H's are diastereotopic (one is cis to the
rest of the molecule while the other is trans), and so that accounts for
the first three groups of H. Then the two H's on the allylic carbon are
the 4th group and the two H's on the next methylene are the 5th group.
Finally, the methyl H's are the sixth group.

Dr. Kiessling
Department of Chemistry
Mansfield University
570-662-4546