ORGLIST: RE: Everybody Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11

Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Attachment view

From: Maneesh Yadav (yadavm$##$scripps.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 13:23:31 EDT


Why not try for the top 10% Ken? Every grad school I know has a wide =
spectrum of people in the classes.

The truth of the matter is that there are smart people *everywhere*, try =
not to pay too much attention to various rankings etc. If you pump out =
a few good papers under a responsibly minded advisor, you'll always be =
able to find a place to work somewhere, especially if you do synthesis. =
Don't fall into the trap of over-valuing other students or PIs whom you =
may think are smarter than you in some intangible way.

If you really enjoy synthesis etc. and have some experience in =
undergrad, I would suggest you find a PI/lab where there will be =
expertise such that you can continue gaining experience in synthesis, =
and learn something new too. Collaborating and working on biolgical =
problems can be a lot of fun. Or maybe there is a chemoinforatics group =
out there who is looking for someone to do synthesis and you could have =
the oppurtunity to pick up an interesting perspective.

Grad school is a special experience, anyone who has been through it will =
tell you that it can be an immensly enlightening and sometimes very =
draining (for a lot of different reasons). Put out tonnes of =
applications, see what you get back, go see the schools, meet the =
people/PIs and go with your best bet, that's about all anyone ever does =
in life.

There is a good story which I've heard and you may want to take about =
half seriously (from =
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/5/12/33210/5714):



Once upon a time, a rabbit was hopping through the forest, lost in =
thought. He was so preoccupied that he didn't notice the fox creeping up =
behind him...

"GOTCHA!" Shouted the fox as he pounced, pinning the rabbit to the =
ground. Immediately, the rabbit pleaded for his life "You can't kill me, =
I'm in graduate school, and I'm about to defend!"

The fox replied, "You're in graduate school? Bullshit. What's your =
thesis?"

"The superiorty of rabbits over foxes and wolves."
"WHAT? I'm about to eat you, and you're begging for your life. How do =
you figure rabbits are superior to foxes?"
"Come on down to my hole, I'll show you my data"
"This I gotta see," replied the fox, and down they went into the rabbit =
hole. Shortly thereafter, the rabbit emerged. The fox did not.

The next day, the rabbit was once again lost in thought, hopping through =
the woods. He didn't notice the wolf until it was almost oo late...

"GOTCHA!" Shouted the wolf as he pounced, pinning the rabbit to the =
ground. Again, the rabbit pleaded for his life "You can't kill me, I'm =
in graduate school, and I'm about to defend!"

The wolf replied, "You're in graduate school? A rabbit? No way. What's =
your thesis?"

"The superiorty of rabbits over foxes and wolves."
"WHAT? Ive got you cold, you're about to be my lunch, and you say you =
are superior to me?"
"Come on down to my burrow, I'll show you my data. It's rock-solid."
"This I gotta see," replied the wolf, and down they went into the rabbit =
hole.
Shortly thereafter, the rabbit emerged, alone.

We descend into the rabbit's lair....In one corner sits a pile of fox =
bones, picked clean. In the other sits a pile of wolf bones, gnawed =
through.

Between them sits a lion.

The moral of the story is: It doesn't matter what your project is. It =
doesn't matter what your data is. It doesn't matter what your department =
is, it doesn't matter what your thesis is.

All that matters is who your advisor is. Pick carefully.


-----Original Message-----
From: everybody-bounces$##$orglist.net on behalf of =
everybody-request$##$orglist.net
Sent: Fri 9/16/2005 9:04 AM
To: everybody$##$orglist.net
Subject: Everybody Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11
 
Send Everybody mailing list submissions to
        everybody$##$orglist.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/everybody
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        everybody-request$##$orglist.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
        everybody-owner$##$orglist.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Everybody digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Suggestions for grad schools? (Ken Knott)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:59:48 -0400
From: "Ken Knott" <esprcorn$##$hotmail.com>
Subject: ORGLIST: Suggestions for grad schools?
To: everybody$##$orglist.net
Message-ID: <BAY102-F11140A02424ADCAF082E04CB9E0$##$phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed

Can anyone offer some suggestions for organic chemistry grad school =
progams
in the eastern side of the US? I'm probobly looking for something in =
the
top 25% but I have no illusions as to being able to get into the top 10% =
or
anything...

I'm mainly interested in synthesis. Perhaps natural products, process
chemistry, etc....

Thanks,

Ken


>From: everybody-request$##$orglist.net
>Reply-To: everybody$##$orglist.net
>To: everybody$##$orglist.net
>Subject: Everybody Digest, Vol 12, Issue 10
>Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:02:47 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Send Everybody mailing list submissions to
> everybody$##$orglist.net
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/everybody
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> everybody-request$##$orglist.net
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
> everybody-owner$##$orglist.net
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of Everybody digest..."
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: hydrogenation (Gang Chen)
> 2. RE: Formic Acid water removal - DANGER (Richard Prankerd)
> 3. Re: Formic Acid water removal - DANGER (Moens, Luc)
> 4. 1,3-Difluorobenzene (Nalini Patel)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:11:24 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Gang Chen <oz-wizz$##$yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: ORGLIST: hydrogenation
>To: everybody$##$orglist.net
>Message-ID: <20050914191124.53875.qmail$##$web30409.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
>Can you hydrogenate in acetic acid instead?
>
>GC.
>
>--- Andrew <westernave1970$##$yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm attempting a hydrogenation of an Z-protected
> > amine with palladion on carbon under hydrogen. The
> > Z-groups is coming off fine, however, if the
> > reaction is performed in methanol, I'm getting the
> > NMe product, similarly if in ethanol, I'm getting
> > the NEt product. How do I stop this?
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Yahoo! for Good
> > Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina
> > relief effort. >
>_______________________________________________
> > ORGLIST - Organic Chemistry Mailing List
> > Website / Archive / FAQ: http://www.orglist.net
> > To post a message (TO EVERYBODY) send to
> > everybody$##$orglist.net
> > To unsubscribe, send to
> > everybody-request$##$orglist.net the message:
> > unsubscribe your_orglist_password your_address
> > List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa
>(coordinator$##$orglist.net)
>
>
>___________________________________________________________
> ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
> `6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)
> (_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'
> _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'
> (il),-'' (li),' ((!.-'
>
>__________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>http://mail.yahoo.com
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:57:09 +1000
>From: Richard Prankerd <Richard.Prankerd$##$vcp.monash.edu.au>
>Subject: RE: ORGLIST: Formic Acid water removal - DANGER
>To: srinivas reddy <gounisrinivas$##$yahoo.com>, Chhaganbhai Madhubhai
> <cmb_92002$##$yahoo.co.in>, everybody$##$orglist.net
>Message-ID:
> <89907EA1DCFB7548A431C13A270F9DD5C12485$##$prk-exch-01.vcp.local>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>All:
>
>In using the information in the website below, note two things:
>
>1. The danger of mixing anhydrous formic acid with concentrated
>sulphuric acid, as this will form carbon monoxide - I used this =
reaction
>when CO was needed for other reactions;
>
>2. The mechanism described on the website is in error by claiming that
>the formation of carbon monoxide from formic acid and sulphuric acid is
>an oxidation reaction - IT IS NOT. Simple examination of the reaction
>stoichiometry shows that this is a dehydration reaction.
>
>Therefore, attempts to remove water from formic acid/water mixtures =
must
>be performed cautiously in a well ventilated space to reduce the risk =
of
>carbon monoxide formation. Always perform on a small scale first.
>
>Richard
>
>Richard J. Prankerd, PhD
>Senior Lecturer
>Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
>381 Royal Pde., Parkville VIC 3052
>
>Phone: INT+613-9903-9003
>Phax: INT+613-9903-9583
>
>Drugs need to be designed with delivery components in mind - Takeru
>Higuchi
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: everybody-bounces$##$orglist.net
> > [mailto:everybody-bounces$##$orglist.net] On Behalf Of srinivas reddy
> > Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2005 8:54 PM
> > To: Chhaganbhai Madhubhai; everybody$##$orglist.net
> > Subject: Re: ORGLIST: Formic Acid water removal
> >
> >
> >
> > hi,
> >
> > here is some useful information:
> >
> > http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/for
> > mic.acid.html
> >
> > hope this would help. good luck
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Srinivas
> >
> >
> >
> > --- Chhaganbhai Madhubhai <cmb_92002$##$yahoo.co.in>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Dear friends,
> > >
> > > I have recovered Formic Acid of 60 % and 40 % water
> > > . Now i want to make concentration upto 85 % how to
> > > remove water from this mixture ? I have tried with
> > > long column distillation but failed in that. so plz
> > > if any one who had good idea to remove this water by
> > > absorption of any salt or any inorganic chemicals
> > > tell me plz.
> > > I have 30 Killoleter formic Acid if I go for sale I
> > > am loosing lot of money.
> > > plz help in this my problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks to all in advance.
> > >
> > > cmb_92002$##$yahoo.co.in
> > > Genius Organic Products
> > >
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:18:10 -0600
>From: "Moens, Luc" <luc_moens$##$nrel.gov>
>Subject: Re: ORGLIST: Formic Acid water removal - DANGER
>To: Richard Prankerd <Richard.Prankerd$##$vcp.monash.edu.au>, srinivas
> reddy <gounisrinivas$##$yahoo.com>, Chhaganbhai Madhubhai
> <cmb_92002$##$yahoo.co.in>, <everybody$##$orglist.net>
>Message-ID: <BF4E0BD2.F64%luc_moens$##$nrel.gov>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
>Dear colleagues,
>
>If I may add to the messages below, the hazards of pressure build-up in
>formic acid containers has been known to cause spontaneous explosions. =
I
>would be very hesitant to store large quantities of concentrated formic =

>acid
>without some special pressure releasing caps. While sulfuric acid
>certainly
>sets off this CO generation in a rapid manner, it looks like slow =
T-induced
>decomposition also occurs upon storage. It's the more insidious hazard =

>that
>was once described in a short safety alert in C&E News magazine several
>years ago.
>
>If you do a google search, you'll find all kinds of information that
>testifies to this hazard.
>
>Luc
>
>
>On 9/14/05 3:57 PM, "Richard Prankerd" =
<Richard.Prankerd$##$vcp.monash.edu.au>
>wrote:
>
> > All:
> >
> > In using the information in the website below, note two things:
> >
> > 1. The danger of mixing anhydrous formic acid with concentrated
> > sulphuric acid, as this will form carbon monoxide - I used this =
reaction
> > when CO was needed for other reactions;
> >
> > 2. The mechanism described on the website is in error by claiming =
that
> > the formation of carbon monoxide from formic acid and sulphuric acid =
is
> > an oxidation reaction - IT IS NOT. Simple examination of the =
reaction
> > stoichiometry shows that this is a dehydration reaction.
> >
> > Therefore, attempts to remove water from formic acid/water mixtures =
must
> > be performed cautiously in a well ventilated space to reduce the =
risk of
> > carbon monoxide formation. Always perform on a small scale first.
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > Richard J. Prankerd, PhD
> > Senior Lecturer
> > Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University
> > 381 Royal Pde., Parkville VIC 3052
> >
> > Phone: INT+613-9903-9003
> > Phax: INT+613-9903-9583
> >
> > Drugs need to be designed with delivery components in mind - Takeru
> > Higuchi
> >
> >
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: everybody-bounces$##$orglist.net
> >> [mailto:everybody-bounces$##$orglist.net] On Behalf Of srinivas reddy
> >> Sent: Wednesday, 14 September 2005 8:54 PM
> >> To: Chhaganbhai Madhubhai; everybody$##$orglist.net
> >> Subject: Re: ORGLIST: Formic Acid water removal
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> here is some useful information:
> >>
> >> http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/for
> >> mic.acid.html
> >>
> >> hope this would help. good luck
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> Srinivas
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --- Chhaganbhai Madhubhai <cmb_92002$##$yahoo.co.in>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Dear friends,
> >>>
> >>> I have recovered Formic Acid of 60 % and 40 % water
> >>> . Now i want to make concentration upto 85 % how to
> >>> remove water from this mixture ? I have tried with
> >>> long column distillation but failed in that. so plz
> >>> if any one who had good idea to remove this water by
> >>> absorption of any salt or any inorganic chemicals
> >>> tell me plz.
> >>> I have 30 Killoleter formic Acid if I go for sale I
> >>> am loosing lot of money.
> >>> plz help in this my problem.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks to all in advance.
> >>>
> >>> cmb_92002$##$yahoo.co.in
> >>> Genius Organic Products
> >>>
> > _______________________________________________
> > ORGLIST - Organic Chemistry Mailing List
> > Website / Archive / FAQ: http://www.orglist.net
> > To post a message (TO EVERYBODY) send to everybody$##$orglist.net
> > To unsubscribe, send to everybody-request$##$orglist.net the message:
>unsubscribe
> > your_orglist_password your_address
> > List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: 15 Sep 2005 04:18:30 -0000
>From: "Nalini Patel" <nalini.patel$##$rediffmail.com>
>Subject: ORGLIST: 1,3-Difluorobenzene
>To: everybody$##$orglist.net
>Message-ID: <20050915041830.12035.qmail$##$webmail47.rediffmail.com>
>
>Hello to all friends !
>
>I'm trying to develope 1,3-Difluorobenzene from two possible paths.
>
>a) from m-Phenylenediamine & b) from 1,3-Dichlorobenzene.
>
>
>But I have not any synthesis references for this. Can someone pls help =
me
>suggesting synthesis procedures for these ?
>
>Awaiting your comments !
>
>
>
>Thanks,
>NALINI
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>ORGLIST - Organic Chemistry Mailing List
>Website / Archive / FAQ: http://www.orglist.net
>To post a message (TO EVERYBODY) send to everybody$##$orglist.net
>To unsubscribe, send to everybody-request$##$orglist.net the message:
>unsubscribe your_orglist_password your_address
>List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)
>
>End of Everybody Digest, Vol 12, Issue 10
>*****************************************




------------------------------

_______________________________________________
ORGLIST - Organic Chemistry Mailing List
Website / Archive / FAQ: http://www.orglist.net
To post a message (TO EVERYBODY) send to everybody$##$orglist.net
To unsubscribe, send to everybody-request$##$orglist.net the message: =
unsubscribe your_orglist_password your_address
List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)

End of Everybody Digest, Vol 12, Issue 11
*****************************************


_______________________________________________
ORGLIST - Organic Chemistry Mailing List
Website / Archive / FAQ: http://www.orglist.net
To post a message (TO EVERYBODY) send to everybody$##$orglist.net
To unsubscribe, send to everybody-request$##$orglist.net the message: unsubscribe your_orglist_password your_address
List coordinator: Joao Aires de Sousa (coordinator$##$orglist.net)



Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Attachment view

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.4 : Thu Feb 18 2010 - 16:58:10 EST