Re: ORGLIST: Formic Acid water removal - DANGER

From: Moens, Luc (luc_moens$##$nrel.gov)
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 19:18:10 EDT

Dear colleagues,

If I may add to the messages below, the hazards of pressure build-up in
formic acid containers has been known to cause spontaneous explosions. I
would be very hesitant to store large quantities of concentrated formic acid
without some special pressure releasing caps. While sulfuric acid certainly
sets off this CO generation in a rapid manner, it looks like slow T-induced
decomposition also occurs upon storage. It's the more insidious hazard that
was once described in a short safety alert in C&E News magazine several
years ago.

If you do a google search, you'll find all kinds of information that
testifies to this hazard.

Luc