RE: ORGLIST: Preparation of Chromotropic Acid Disodium salt.

From: Richard Prankerd (Richard.Prankerd$##$vcp.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 17:53:32 EDT

Mr Barvaliya:

You do not need to protect the two hydroxy groups - the sulphonic acid
groups are far more acidic, so they will be the places where the sodium
salts will form.

In aqueous solution, just neutralize the free acid with 2 equivalents of
sodium hydroxide and then evaporate the water. Alternatively, use
alcohol as the solvent.

Richard