ORGLIST: Bromoetherification

From: David Kelly (kellydr$##$Cardiff.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 14:37:41 EDT

We have been running bromoetherification reactions using
cyclopentene, alcohols and N-bromosuccinimide. Works well,
except that we get dibromide as a byproduct, in addition to
the desired bromoether. Does anybody known of any
methods to suppress dibromide formation, other than jacking
up the amount of alcohol. Some of the alcohols we use are
expensive, and others are difficult to remove from the product.

All the Best,

Dave KellyDr David R. Kelly
Dept. of Chemistry, Cardiff University, PO Box 912, Cardiff,
CF10 3TB, UK
Phone 02920-874063: Fax 02920-874030
Mobile 07971-240448: Home 02920-610891
Web page http://www.cf.ac.uk/uwc/chemy/staff/kelly.html
For the "Elephants and Butterflies" article see
http://www.semiochemica.org.uk/articles/articlesidx.html
BEST Record: http://expertise.cos.com/cgi-
bin/exp.cgi?id=498275
For catalysis see http://www.chemsoc.org/cgi-
shell/events/nforedisp.pl?ID=551
Cardiff University is the public name of the University of
Wales, Cardiff, a constituent institution of the
University of Wales.