ORGLIST: Liberating Amine from its HCl salt

From: mailbox (mailbox$##$invalid)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 10:03:09 EDT

Hello friends !

Can anyone pls suggest me to liberate an Aromatic Amine from its =
Hydrochloride Salt ? I tried using aq. NaOH, aq. KOH but not getting all =
the Amine freed. Although I used 1.5 gr NaOH/KOH in water (making 15% =
solution) against 1 gr Amine HCl, some amount of Amine HCl still remains =
in the water layer (monitored thro' TLC). Liq. Ammonia is also not =
giving results.

Any exact composition of the base to liberate my Amine ?

By the way, my Amine is quite unstable to atmosphere & insoluble in =
water & hence I use toluene alongwith aq. base to extract it directly =
while freeing.

Welcome to your kind advices suggesting proper method for this =
liberation !

Thanking you,
Kamal