Re: ORGLIST: PTC solubilities needed

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 10:07:33 EST

Hello Jacobo,

As the solute and the solvents are inexpensive and not too difficult to =

handle, it seems that this is a case where one may experimentally
determine the distribution coefficient of BTEA between water and the
solvent by various possible methods: gravimetry of the residue after
solvent evaporation, directly or after redissolving and precipitating a =

tetraphenylborate (possibly even a perchlorate) salt, UV and IR
spectrophotometry, refractive index, direct or reverse phase
chromatographic methods such as TLC with spot diameter measurement (for =

example iodine vapor uptake or fluorescence quenching spots), HPLC
with UVD or differential refractive index etc. Some easy calibration
would be required in all cases.

All the best,

Jacob

Prof. Jacob Zabicky