ORGLIST: ntrile to carboxylate ester

From: Omar Khan (drkhan_99$##$yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 17:02:16 EST

Hi everybody,

I would be pleased if someone is so kind to help me
out with the reaction I am running at present. It is
the methanolysis of nitrile to get methyl carboxylate
ester of a steroid.

Because of the Mettox rearrangement problem at steroid
hydroxy/methoxy group when the reaction is run at
around 0oC or higher the reaction is run at -20oC to
-15oC, but still I am not getting any satisfactory
product.

can anybody suggest me of any alternative mild
reaction condition avoidong alkali/acid hydrolysis of
nitrile to get carboxylate?

Thank you very much

Omar Faruk Khan
College of Pharmacy