Re: ORGLIST:Help: crystals required!

From: Marko Hapke (marko.hapke$##$yale.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 16:36:23 EST

Dear Sandra,

crystallizing macrocyles often is a game of time and patience. The PF6 ion
is a good choice but another good counterion is ClO4, it makes every
crystallographer happy and I made good experience with it. I recommend the
diffusion method; you dissolve your substance in CH3CN or THF or a mixture
of a little CH3CN and mostly THF or whatever gives a solution, then you
give a little bit of n-hexane to this solution and join the flask with the
solution of your substance and another flask containing pure hexane with a
glasstube, so that you have a closed system (a tube like an "U"). And then:
wait. Exchange of the hexane should be done every 2-3 weeks with fresh hexane.

Good luck!

Marko