Re: ORGLIST:Schlenk

From: Xufeng Sun (sunx2$##$rpi.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 08:55:41 EST

Jacob,

There is a reaction vessel called "Shlenk Tube", which allows one to
set up metal-catalytic reaction easily under dry, inert atmosphere
protected condition. A valve is installed directly on the vessel to
pump out air and back-fill inert atmosphere. All reagents are handled
by needles via a rubber septum (or other similar cap) to avoid
contacting air. Basically the setup requirement is what you described,
but not necessary to run the reaction at low temperature once you
finish the setup.

It looks like "Shlenk conditions" refers to above practice, but I am
not 100% sure because I personally never saw the expression of "Shlenk
conditions".

Xufeng