ORGLIST:hydrogenation

From: Jacobo Cruces (jacobo.cruces$##$galchimia.com)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 12:55:34 EDT

Dear all:

We are trying to hydrogenate a conjugated double bond in a molecule which
posses a N-benzyl moiety. However, the catalytic hydrogenation at
atmospheric pressure using Pd/C (2,5%) in MeOH is also deprotecting the
N-benzyl (that is because we do NOT want to deprotect the benzyl group, and
the molecule knows that, so of course the reaction works; if we would try
to deprotect the group it would not work; Murphy strikes again). We have
some experience in the reduction of other conjugated double bonds using
Ni/Raney and Mg/MeOH.

  Can anybody give us some hints on this?

Dr. Jacobo Cruces
Research Manager