RE: ORGLIST:oxidation of pyrrole under acidic condition

From: Boyles, David A. (David.Boyles$##$sdsmt.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 11:46:53 EDT

Yantao:

The pine splint test for pyrrole has been long noted.

A pine splint dipped in HCl will turn red when introduced into a test tube
containing pyrrole.

The mechanism is simply an acid-promoted polymerization, pyrrole being pi
excessive. Further oxidation in the presence of oxygen may occur to afford
a more intensely-colored, conjugated polymer.

David A. Boyles
Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
Rapid City, SD 57701