Re: ORGLIST: Spectra similarity indexing

From: mohamad mukharir (mohamad_mukharir$##$yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 08:14:16 EDT

Dear Mohsen,
Thank You very much for your kind attention,
I need a help for my problem in spectrum comparation (or matching). when I scan a sample using IR spectro, I have difficulty to decide whether the spectrum I got is what I want. I try to solve it by scanning some references, but I found that there are some difference between the sample's and the reference's spectra. so I search through internet for the problem and I found a simple equation
P=A/n
where P is matching factor A is agreements for some selected peak ( strongest peak ) between sample's and standard's spectra, and n is the number of selected strongest peak. This equation was used in MS spectral guessing for some instruments. but i'm not so satisfied with this answer. because there are some differences between IR and MS spectral properties. IR spectrum have tendency to vary in it's wave number, not like MS spectrum did. and IR spectrum not that narrow as MS spectrum. so I think the equation need to be specified for IR spectrum matching. but How....?
thanks a lot for any sugestion.
salam,

kharir
  mohsen fouad <fouad_m_m$##$yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Sir,
I have experience in Industrial and Systems Engg science. If you need any help related with these sciences, tell me.
thanks
Dr. Engg. Mohsen Fouad
  mohamad mukharir <mohamad_mukharir$##$yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Dear all....

I want to know how to find similarity index which shows the similarity between two IR or UV-Vis spectra. I ever search over internet, but I only find similarity indexing for mass spectra, as used in library searching in integrated GC-MS station. can you help me to solve this problem.

best regards,

kharir