Re: ORGLIST:crystallization

From: Yuehui Zhou (yuehuizhou$##$hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 00:14:19 EDT

Hi, Kees!

Jocob seems to have mentioned everything about the re-crystalization.
Especially the patience is very important as Jacob said, cover the glass
with the solution by a piece of polyolefin and forget it for a while. You
will be often surprized.

Also the suitable solvent is important. You can start with n-hexan, ether,
ethylacetate, ethanol, methlenechloride. For compounds with low melting
point (40-60C, they are mostly also very soluble) solvents with low poining
point such as ether may be good solvent. For compounds of high melting point
such as disperse dyestuffs you may need solvent with high boiling point such
as buthanol or DMF. Methlenechloride seems to be good for many compounds if
you have patience, especially if you want a big crystal for x-ray analysis
(put the covered glass away for a while).
  Good luck!

Yuehui ZHou