Re: ORGLIST: looking for a suitable journal

From: Rzepa, Henry (h.rzepa$##$ic.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 03:07:22 EDT

>Dear Paul Thind
>Could you tell myself and the orglist members the who owns the copyright to
>the papers that are published in Arkivoc?
>
>Darren Rhodes.
>
>ps Forgive me if this is obvious from your website.

This of course is the topic of major debate, particularly in the
"Openarchives" initiative. The consensus is that the community
is moving from publishers owning "all rights forever" to
authors granting "rights to publish" to authors "self archiving" .

We have promoted the concept of a datument", a document which
includes "machine processable" information (such as molecule
connection tables,spectral data, physical data, units, etc) seamlessly
combined within the document. The ownership of such a semantically
rich object is even more important to establish. Most publishers we
ask about this refuse to comment (they are very very afraid of the
implications).