Re: ORGLIST: NMR Analysis

From: Uno Maeorg (uno$##$chem.ut.ee)
Date: Wed Dec 02 1998 - 04:57:21 EST

Hi Sir,

Are you sure that you have individual compound?
This case you had could be a quite complicated.
The procedure could give a mixture, consisting of
a)pinacoline type condensation of the starting material
b)pinacoline type condensation of the product and starting material and
c)pinacoline type condensation of the product
Aldehyde group can give the Schif base what is again possible to give
pinacoline type condensation. In the same time all these products have
two diastereomers. Which one du you have? Using Zn instead of Fe these
processes are definitely taking place. We know this from our experiments
with p-NO2bensaldehyde.

Good luck and best regards

Uno Maeorg

Uno Maeorg ! Internet : uno$##$chem.ut.ee
University of Tartu, Institute of Organic Chemistry! voice : +(3727)465243
2 Jakobi St, Tartu EE2400, Estonia via Stockholm ! fax : +(3727)465264