DMAP in GC-MS

From: George D. McCallion (chem$##$bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 06:32:08 EST

I have had the opportunity to use this reagent in intramolecular
acylations, but has anyone used DMAP as an acylating agent for GC-MS
Derivatizations, specifically for chiral cyclohexanols (such as
myo-inositol) and chiral, straight-chain alkane alcohols (such as perseitol)?

I have read on page 10 of 'Handbook of Analyltical Derivatization
Reactions' by Daniel R. Knapp which states "A few analytical
applications of the potent acylation agent dimethylaminopyridine have
been reported. This catalyst appears to be very useful and deserves
further examination".

This is as far as I have currently progressed with acylating the
above compounds, and I do not want to use TFAA; it seems to be too harsh
for my purpose(s).

Any information on references, protocols, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
--
George D. 'Merlin' McCallion, Research Chemist
Division of Metabolism

Office: 1.215.590.6894
Fax: 1.215.590.3364
Email: chem$##$bellatlantic.net