Re: ORGLIST: Propylene Oxide formation

From: Manuel Toennis (mt$##$linda.org.chemie.tu-muenchen.de)
Date: Fri Sep 18 1998 - 17:01:03 EDT

It's quite common to use Propylene Oxide in model motorsports (along
with Nitromethane...), so why not in an normal racing car.
But model engines are built to operate on this fuel, normal gasoline
engines could get cooling problems and overheat (melt??) due to the
greater energy release of this fuel. But my real reasons for writing this
 are some comments to your desired reactions:

> John de la Parra, Jr. wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > My father and brother are drivers for a racing team and I was working on
> > the synthesis of a new fuel for them to use. It is called Propylene Oxide
> > and of the formula CH2CHCH3 before I try it I would like to know if I can
> > \ /
> > prepare it the following way
> > H3O+
> > 1. propanol --------> propene + H2O

This reaction can also be performed on hot catalytical active Al2O3.

> > Ag catalyst
> > 2. propene + O2 -------------> propylene oxide
> > 250 degrees C
> >And this one only works with Ethane! No other alkenes work.

I hope this will help,
Manuel Toennis