ORGLIST: Propylene Oxide formation

From: John de la Parra, Jr. (johnd$##$zeus.asms.state.k12.al.us)
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 16:05:13 EDT

Hey,

My father and brother are drivers for a racing team and I was working on
the synthesis of a new fuel for them to use. It is called Propylene Oxide
and of the formula CH2CHCH3 before I try it I would like to know if I can
                    \ /
prepare it the following way
               H3O+
1. propanol --------> propene + H2O

                Ag catalyst
2. propene + O2 -------------> propylene oxide
                250 degrees C

Is this safe?

Has anyone experience with this substance?

Percent yields??

Thank you very much.

John G. de la Parra, Jr.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
New York, NY
Chemical Engineering