Re: ORGLIST: Cryoscopic solvent mixtures

From: Herb Hedgecock (h.hedgec$##$morehead-st.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 14:29:41 EDT

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Mike Fralish wrote:

> >I'm looking for a eutectic mix of water with another solvent that could be
> >taken to temperatures much below 0 C (about -80 to -100 C). Suggestions like

> >Hormuzd R. Mulla
>
> I know it might be too simple...
> The first thing that pops into my mind is the godd old CRC Handbook
> Yes or no?

CRC does have some data. More to the point, -80 deg is a bit much for
water. -55 deg using calcium chloride is about as low as you will get.

You might also try 'The Chemist's Companion: A Handbook of Practical
Data, Techniques, and References.' It's an old book, but useful.

        Herb Hedgecock, PhD |)runrun |)
       Dept of Physical Sciences || run ||
      Morehead State University || run ||
     Morehead KY 40351 ||run run||