Re: ORGLIST: inventory

From: Karsten Tonn (k.tonn$##$ic.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 04:44:25 EDT

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Bob Gawley wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a software database for keeping inventory of
> chemicals in an academic lab? I'd prefer a Mac compatible version if
> possible.

In our research group we are using the ISIS package, available from MDL.
It is installed on all our machines (Macs, but PC version available too).

With it we can access some online databases and also our local inventory.
It can be searched by structure, (sub-)formula, name and gives the bottle
ID and location in our store.

I know that some companies are using the same package, alas with a more
elaborate database design to keep track of all their chemicals in their
research labs (with barcoded bottles etc, >envy<).

The package is free to UK academics, for others I do not know.
Probably best to check their homepage or your local IT person.

Hope that helps,

Karsten o
                     o \ | /
                    o \ - - /
                    || - (o o) -
Karsten Tonn, Department of Chemistry, Imperial College, Exhibition Rd.,
London SW7 2AY, UK; phone +44-171-59-45813, FAX +44-171-59-45805;
private: 29 Lawnside, Blackheath, London SE3 9HR, phone +44-181-8529599.