ORGLIST: "Chemical samples preservation" to be discussed at ECSOC-2

From: Shu-Kun Lin (LIN$##$ubaclu.unibas.ch)
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 13:37:24 EDT

Hi, colleagues,

The disposal of old chemical samples is costly and generates environmental
problem, while old samples can be used for many other screening purposes.
However, there are many technical problems regarding samples management.

As one of the two Section Conveners of Section E of
The 2nd International Electronic Conference on Synthetic Organic Chemistry
(ECSOC-2, at http://mdpi.org/ecsoc-2.htm), I would like to invite
chemists contribute short papers expressing ideas on the samples
preservation project. The format might be that of the short comments
published in many journals.

MDPI published MOLECULES (http://mdpi.org/molecules/)
is the first journal encouraging chemists to deposit
and exchange samples. In order to promote this activity, I thought about
purchasing ca. 0.5 g ( or any amount 5mg-500g) of samples of the rare compounds
described in any MOLECULES papers. The nonprofit organization
MDPI has put great efforts on collecting all old
samples from retired professors and in many cases pay cash to
purchase all of them. MDPI further rewards sample
contributor afterwards if any part of the samples
are sold in the worldwide samples exchange project (For more information,
please visit http://mdpi.org/ website). It has been my dream that no old
samples are trashed but all are preserved by MDPI.

I would like to open active discussions at Section E, where the topic includes
"Information and Compound Archives Management and Internet Application:
Molecular diversity studies, literature, databases, chemical sample libraries,
and 2D and 3D structural presentation".

If you have any comment, please let me know. I will appreciate it if you
support us.

Shu-Kun Lin
President of MDPI
Editor, MOLECULES (vol.3 1998)

Dr. Shu-Kun Lin
Molecular Diversity Preservation International (MDPI)
Saengergasse 25, CH-4054 Basel, Switzerland
       http://www.mdpi.org/
MOLECULES http://www.mdpi.org/molecules/
ECSOC-2 http://www.mdpi.org/ecsoc-2.htm
E-mail lin$##$mdpi.org
Tel. +41 79 322 3379, Fax +41 61 302 8918