ORGLIST: RCM

From: Christopher Paul Borella (cborella$##$ic.sunysb.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 14:26:44 EDT

Hello,
We have been having some problems recently trying to form constrained
macrocycles. The main problem seems to be when we have either a alpha or
beta substituent on one of the double bonds, namely a gem dimethyl or a
boc protected amine. We have been using Grubs catalyst mainly (schrocks
was tried, but it opened up an oxatane ring on our compound instead of
forming the macrocycle). The molecule has several funtional groups on it,
so grubs catalyst seemed to be ideal, unfortunatly with the three systems
mentioned above, dimers were the only product observed, with the
substituted double bonds left untouched. (this metathesis has worked well
with unsubstituted alkenes) Any help would ve most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Borella