RE: ORGLIST: Propargyl bromide

From: Dr. Michael Fassbender (mifa$##$nac.ac.za)
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 01:57:35 EDT

Hi all,

|Rather than go through what seems bound to be a messy synthesis - even if
|substitution would stop at the mono- stage (which I doubt) why not just buy
|the stuff? It is very cheaply available from Aldrich.

Thank you very much for your responses. The thing is, here in South Africa
the Aldrich propargyl bromide is quite expensive due to the bad course of
our Rand (Rand pricing ~ $-pricing times 10!). Indeed, it is a good
suggestion to start with the alcohol, which is available in a 1 L bulk, and
simply brominate it with PBr3. The concern arises whether I really get the
3-Bromo propyne by this means and not a sort of rearranged allene thing.

Cheers,

Mike

Dr. Michael Fassbender
Radioisotope Production Group: Organic Chemistry
National Accelerator Centre (NAC)
P.O. Box 72
7131 Faure
South Africa

Phone: +27-21-843-3820 (business), +27-21-855-0056 (private)
Fax: +27-21-843-3901
email: mifa$##$nac.ac.za