Re: ORGLIST: carotene

From: G.P.Moss (G.P.Moss$##$qmw.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 20 1998 - 07:53:36 EDT

There is indeed alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta, etc carotenes.
Most of these are isomers of C40 H56 which differ in the double bond
locations and number of rings present. Any standard book on carotenoid
chemistry would give you full details. I may be wrong but I suspect alpha
and beta ionone were linked into this nomenclature. Beta-carotene has both
ends as beta-ionone. Alpha-carotene has one beta end and the other as
alpha-ionone. See for example the Aldrich Catalogue for the structure of
alpha and beta-ionone.

Gerry Moss

Dr GP Moss Telephone: +44 171 775 3262
Department of Chemistry
Queen Mary & Westfield College Facsimile: +44 181 981 8745
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS, United Kingdom E-mail: g.p.moss$##$qmw.ac.uk

World Wide Web server: http://www.chem.qmw.ac.uk/
IUPAC chemical nomenclature data base: http://www.chem.qmw.ac.uk/iupac/
IUBMB biochemical nomenclature data base: http://www.chem.qmw.ac.uk/iubmb/