ORGLIST: Stannic oxide

From: Rafael Velasquez D (ravelasq$##$tunja.cetcol.net.co)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 22:59:23 EDT

I'm trying to obtain tin oxide from bronze, I treated the alloy whit
nitric acid and then I separated the precipitate substance by
filtration. The precipitate substance I supposed that was SnO, its color
was brown, then I heat it with a burner and I obtain a white bone
substance, that I supposed that it was SnO2, then I heat it near to the
600C with the purpose of burn the filter paper, but the substance
changed to a black color, the filter paper was without ash.
Who can explain me the change of color and how can I make to obtain the
SnO2?
Thanks in advance
Edwin