Re: ORGLIST - orglist Digest - V01 #149

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Sun May 24 1998 - 02:53:30 EDT

>orglist Digest Sat, 23 May 1998 00:02:00 +0100 V01 #149
>
>Today's topics:
> 'aniline'

>Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:10:57 +0000
>From: Mike Fralish <mfrali01$##$mail.isd77.k12.mn.us>
>Subject: aniline
>

>Hey everyone,
>
>Im working on an azo coupling project. The problem is that i dont have a
>source of aniline or any aminobenzene derivitive (its backordered from my
>supplier and i only have two weeks to complete this). I was hoping that I
>could make some. I know the standard procedure is to treat NO2 groups with
>HCl and Iron(as a catalyst) but I was hoping to use toluene ( because it
>activates the aromatic ring) as my starting point. The toluene would act
>as an ortho,para director( I assume) to whatever I react it with. My
>question is: whats should I react the toluene with to get p-aminotoluene or
>o-aminotoluene? Does anyone have any better ideas?
>
>Thanks in advanced,
>Mike

Dear Mike,

1. Do you want to do your azo coupling project? or
2. do you want to invent a synthesis of aromatic amines?

Say you want to prepare an aromatic amine for task 1. Then take a good
organic laboratory manual, or Organic Synthesis, and pick up a preparative
for which you have the necessary strarting materials.

Personally I would recommend the following: Pick up the catalog of a good
supplier of laboratory chemicals, find your preferred amine, say aniline,
pick up your phone, and order it, paying from your pocket money. Some
suppliers are accessible through the web. You'll get your chemical rush
next day.

Have fun

Jacob Zabicky