ORGLIST: aniline

From: Mike Fralish (mfrali01$##$mail.isd77.k12.mn.us)
Date: Fri May 22 1998 - 10:10:57 EDT

Hey everyone,

Im working on an azo coupling project. The problem is that i dont have a
source of aniline or any aminobenzene derivitive (its backordered from my
supplier and i only have two weeks to complete this). I was hoping that I
could make some. I know the standard procedure is to treat NO2 groups with
HCl and Iron(as a catalyst) but I was hoping to use toluene ( because it
activates the aromatic ring) as my starting point. The toluene would act
as an ortho,para director( I assume) to whatever I react it with. My
question is: whats should I react the toluene with to get p-aminotoluene or
o-aminotoluene? Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks in advanced,
Mike

The "Chemistry Machine"

Mike Fralish