Re: ORGLIST - orglist Digest - V01 #145

From: Jacob Zabicky (zabicky$##$bgumail.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Tue May 19 1998 - 05:09:42 EDT

>Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:02:40 -0400
>From: "Eric D. Stover" <eds4$##$psu.edu>
>Subject: The ethical test: TOTOBOOM
>

>It appears we have quite varying views on how to deal with Mr(s). TOTOBOOM.
>In my opinion this is simply a consequence of the anonymous nature of an
>electronic forum. I am concerned that the content of his web page, though
>freedom of expression should be gaurenteed, indicates alterior motives than
>simply scientific research. I beleive we all must show restraint when
>discussing/providing information to individuals of a controlled nature. I
>am also concerned that if TOTOBOOM's position is with a national defense
>organization that some discretion on his/her part should be in order, which
>it is not very apparent that it is. In my opinion, this whole scenario
>brings up a question. Should there be some ethical standard to our
>discussions in this forum? Should the moderator (?) play a more active role
>(I know this can be an arduous task) in filtering? Does this border on
>censorship, and if so, due to the sometimes sensetive nature of science
>today, should some type of censorship be applied?

Dear Eric,

IMHO the best approach, at least at the beginning, is total lack of
response to 'that guy' and others of his kind. They probably look for a
resonance box, so let's not give them one. This is also helpful regarding
curtailing of freedom of expression et alia. However, if they become
obstreperous in the future, there is place for more active response.

All the best,

Jacob Zabicky

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Prof. Jacob Zabicky Tel. 972-7-6461271/6461062/6472754
Institutes for Applied Research Fax. 972-7-6472969
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev Private: POB 12366 Beer-Sheva 84836
POB 653, Beer-Sheva 84105, ISRAEL Tel. 972-7-6496792
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x