Re: ORGLIST: Purification of 2,5- Dimethoxyaniline

From: jchubb$##$qci.com
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 07:49:21 EDT

I am a chemistry student and am currently trying to do some organic
synthesis. I wish to purify my 2,5-Dimetoxyaniline as it appears to me
that my compound has been partially oxidised. Iwould greatly appreciate
if anybody can give me some information(/reference) regarding the above
matter.
Hope to get assistance as soon as possible.
Thank you

Barnabas

I would think that you could form the hydrochloride salt of the desired
aniline and recrystallize it away from the oxidation product.

I would expect the first oxidation to occure at the nitrogen, to make
1-nitro-2,5-dimethoxybenzene. This would not form a hydrochloride salt and
should be fairly soluable in organic solvents.

So, why do you want to clean up your 2,5-DMA? What are you planning on
doing with the material?

John Chubb, Ph.D.
Quality Chemicals, Inc