Re: ORGLIST: tetracyane

From: by way of Joao Aires de Sousa (GERALD.MORINE$##$helios.si.fct.unl.pt)
Date: Sun Nov 16 1997 - 19:01:53 EST

Recently, Gunther Cyrill Hebein wrote:
>I am looking for a substance called tetracyane

        I searched Alta Vista (http://altavista.digital.com/)
for tetracyane and got no hits. I also searched for
tetracyano and got 88 document hits.

        Tetracyane may be a tradename. I suspect that there is no
chemical or substance known to chemists (in English, at least)
as tetracyane, although since Chemical Abstracts recently identified
their 17 millionth compound, so there may well be one by that
name eventually. (I wonder what the neopentane analog,
C(CN)4, is called?)

        There are many chemicals that that have tetracyano
within their names, of course. These are compounds with
four (tetra) cyano (CN) groups within them.

        A few examples :
7,7,8,8-Tetracyano-2,3,5,6,-tetrafluoro-quinodimethane
Tetracyano-p-quinodimethane
Tetracyano(4,4'-dimethyl-2,2'-bipyridine)ferrate(II) ion
Potassium tetracyano aurate (III)

Cheers, Jerry Morine
Chemistry Dept, Bemidji State University,
Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
ghmo$##$vax1.bemidji.msus.edu