ORGLIST: Elementary Question on Rxn conditions

From: GERALD MORINE, PHONE:218-755-2792 FAX: 4107 (GHMO$##$VAX1.BEMIDJI.MSUS.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 16:38:31 EDT

Hi! Boy, this is a quiet list!
Anyway, I'm new to organic and wonder if some
experienced person can take a minute to help
me out. I want to react urea with an ester
and wonder what reaction conditions (solvent- water?)
(pH?)(ion strength?) (temperature?)(time?) I
shoud use to get a good yield. Also, I want
only one of the amino ends of urea reacted so
what mole ratio of urea to ester should I use to
guarantee an adequate excess of urea?
The ester is made by refluxing 2-propanol
with humic substances, which have benzoic
acid type carboxylic acid groups. If you haven't
done this, perhaps you could suggest the best
textbook or lab experiment manual to look in.

Thanks, Jerry Morine, Bemidji, Minnesota, USA
   ghmo$##$vax1.bemidji.msus.edu