ORGLIST: functionlize 1-(2-Naphthalenyl)-adamantane

From: by way of Joao Aires de Sousa (tzhulin$##$WPI.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 12:21:23 EDT

Hi,

I am working on synthesizing
3-functionlized-1-(2-Naphthalenyl)-adamantane. I have tried two ways which
neither is promising. One way is try to bromination or oxidation
1-(2-Naphthalenyl)-adamantane which always ended up with the Naphthalenyl
part changed instead of the adamantane part. Another way I have tried is
to Fridel-Craft Alkylation Naphthalene with 1,3-dibromoadamantane. The
problem is that if I use weak catalyst like SnCl2 and ZnCl2, no reation.
If I use strong ones like FeCl3 and AlCl3, the product is too complicated
to be useful.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me out of this.

% Zhulin Tan &
% tzhulin$##$wpi.edu &
% Phone 508-831-5224 (lab) &
% 508-753-7471 (home)&