ORGLIST: Reduction of an alcohol with HI-acid

From: Martin Kerrison (Lazarus$##$thenet.ch)
Date: Sun May 18 1997 - 21:37:48 EDT

Mai 19th, 1997

Seeking for Information

Several hours in our local library showed no result expect an old Japanese
text on my question. Maybe some of you better knowing chemists are willing
to help me (a beginner)?
COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME USEFULL LITERATURE REFERENCE OR AT LEAST SOME
FACTS ON THIS SPECIFIC REACTION?
   I heard of a certain reduction with hydriodic acid (57%) and red
phosphorus wich reduced a secondary amino-alcohol (HO-group on the alpha
position) to the corresponding carbohydrate. It was a one pot method (I
think it went directly thrugh the halogenated state to the end product) in
quite good yields.
  They mentioned that since HI can be generated by dripping cleaned red
phosphorus in H2O to Iodine Crystalls suspendet in H2O, the whole reduction
could also be made by reacting Jodine Crystalls and red phosphorus in water
together with the alcohol to be reduced.
   I think the original author (in an early Japanese edition of the
"Journal of the Chem. Soc. of Japan" or so) was called Ogata.

Every help welcome!
  Ref. to literature ore facts on rx-details like temp, time, moles etc.

Greetings from Switzerland! - Martin.
Lazarus$##$thenet.ch