Re: ORGLIST: Thiophenyl radicals

From: Thanasis Gimisis (gimisis$##$area.bo.cnr.it)
Date: Tue Jan 27 1998 - 16:40:07 EST

You could find many relevant references in:
"Thiyl Radicals" C. Chatgilialoglu & M. Guerra, Supplement S: The chemistry
of sulphur-containing functional groups (Eds S. Patai &Z. Rappoport), 1993,
Chapter 8, pp 363-394 (In particular pp 376-383).

You could try photolysis of PhSSPh, Et3B/O2, or AIBN, but it all depends on
the application you have in mind.

> I'm trying to generate low concentrations of thiophenyl radicals in
>solution at room temperature. I'm tempted to try either triethylborane/air
>or ultraviolet, but can't find much precedent for either. Anyone got any
>suggestions?

Hope this helps, Thanasis