ORGLIST: The Joy of Replies

From: by way of Joao Aires de Sousa (STCH8002$##$bureau.ucc.ie)
Date: Sun Apr 06 1997 - 15:51:01 EDT

Forgive me if I am wrong - but I am under the
impression that replies to queries now default to
the author of the query unless the person
replying chooses otherwise. Now I can understand
the logic of this but it does limit any
scientific discussion to the few persons
directly concerned. This is, I think,
shortsighted. To begin with, a reply to he list
may spark off a dissenting comment from another
reader who has an alternative view or a better
suggestion. Then there is the 'browsing effect' -
remember way back when we used to actually page
through all the major journals 8-( - reading an
apparently irrelevant reply can trigger an
important insight on one's own work.

Yes, there will be problems - mainly irritating
non-chemical messages - if we return to the
original system. But I think that the values that
I have suggested above outweigh the hassle. I
subscribe to two high-traffic lists:
chemed-l$##$mailer.uwf.edu (approx. 30+ messages a
day) and SAFETY$##$UVMVM.UVM.EDU perhaps 80+
messages a day). Both allow default replying to
the list and very few people get apoplexy at the
occasional inappropriate posting.

At present the list 'appears' only slightly less
boring than the old Orgchem list. Let's spice it
up.