ORGLIST: diketogulonic acid

From: by way of Joao Aires de Sousa (deutschj$##$essex.UCHSC.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 19:54:08 EST

I am trying to synthesize 100 mg amts of a pure standard of 2,3
diketogulonic acid (4,5,6 trihydroxy 2,3 diketo hexanoic acid)
from dehydroascorbic acid.
I am having trouble getting purity greater than 90% based on GC analysis,
and during further attempts I am plagued with decomposition.
This should be simple (opening a lactone for crying out loud).
I could do HPLC purification, but it seems that it would be beter to
crystalize it out.
I thought I once had a method where the stuff can be crystalized in fairly
pure form, (but I don't recall the method of purity testing), but now I
can't find it.
Does anyone know of a reference or a method that is out there?

                         John Deutsch