ORGLIST: imines and triflates

From: Timothy L. Friebe (tlf5$##$psu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 26 1997 - 11:01:40 EST

I am new to this list and hope the following questions have not already
been answered previously. If so, I appologize.

1. Is it possible to form an imine (C=N) from an unsaturated aldehyde such
as acrolein?

2. Does anyone have a procedure for the protection of an amine with
trifluoromethanesulfonyl anhydride (triflic anhydride)? I have a
literature reference but we do not have the journal in question and it may
take a few weeks to get the answer.

Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Tim Friebe

tlf5$##$psu.edu
Timothy L. Friebe
PennState-Erie, Behrend College