ORGLIST: Re: blue bottle

From: by way of Joao Aires de Sousa (kcousins$##$wiley.csusb.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 15:04:59 EST

> >I am looking for information about the Blue Bottle experiment and the

I know about a "disappearing blue" experiment, in which methylene blue,
sugar, and KOH (aq) are combined to form a vivid blue solution. Upon
standing this solution fades; upon mixing the solution returns to its
blue color, assuming oxygen from the air is mixed with the solution.
Mixing while under a non-oxygen atmosphere (we do this as a demonstration
with nat. gas) does not restore the blue color. If you'd like more
details (exact amounts, equations, etc) let me know.

Kimberley Cousins
Department of Chemistry
California State University, San Bernardino
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407

(909)880-5391
kcousins$##$wiley.csusb.edu